Thursday, May 03, 2012

A Rookie Survivalist's Thoughts


Bear Grylls Eating God Knows What
Within the past couple months of doing research on survival, I’ve acquired a ton of interesting and new information.  When I was younger, the only knowledge of survival I gained was from Man vs. Wild, and to be honest the only thing I grasped from that show was how to eat massive insects and dead animals if you want to live.  I knew there was a lot more to learn then just that.  

After going through many survival and prepper forums, I learned that in recent years the development of outdoor clothing, equipment, emergency food and techniques has rapidly advanced.  With the fear of doomsday instilled in the back of everyone’s mind, the supposed date is approaching and it’s approaching fast.  Sales for survival equipment have increased dramatically in 2012. Uncle Sam’s Safari Outfitters in Webster Groves reported a staggering jump in sales to people preparing for a possible collapse.  While everyone is stocking up their storage cabinets with MRE’s and bottled water, they’re also loading up their bug-out-bags for those “just in case” situations.  

Rothco's Solar/Wind Up Radio
When I first noticed the term “bug-out bag”, I said to myself, what in the world are people putting in these so-called “bug-out bags”?  There is no definitive answer to this question.  Sure, I noticed a bunch of items in everyone’s bag such as first aid kits, fire-starters, water-purification supplies, and lighting.  But I also noticed some stand out items that gave these bags almost a sense of character to them.  Wind-up radios, multi-function tools, crazy paracord ideas, and a bunch more items that I didn’t even know existed.  

What I find amazing is how all of these preppers are often very open to what goes in their bags and networking other survival techniques.  With all of the expert knowledge being passed around it gives much hope to everyone just in case disaster does strike and evacuation is needed.  

Rothco's Move-Out Bag
 Perfect for Your Bug-Out
Even if you happen to lose your way on a camping trip to a temporary evacuation of your house during a natural disaster, being educated even the slightest bit can save your life. Always keep in mind that it can happen to you. Those who are mentally and physically prepared to survive are more likely to do so.  

I highly recommend everyone joins our new Facebook page “Rothco Readiness & Survival.”  Here we will have survival Q&A’s, funny images, informative articles, and much more.  It’s also a great place for you survivalists and preppers to share with each other new ideas.



Peter Azzarone @ Rothco

Subscribe to the Camobloge