Friday, October 28, 2011

It's A Zombie Eat Zombie World Out There

Image via our friends at
Friedman’s Army Navy in Nashville
Rothco's Blog of the Living Dead...
In honor of this most horrifying holiday, a day when the dead can walk freely, I figure it would be an appropriate time to cover how to survive a zombie apocalypse. 
So what does one do, when the dead rise from the ground? Flight or Fight?  I say fight, from all the movies like Night of the Living Dead or TV shows like The Walking Dead, it doesn't look like there are many places to hide because they are everywhere.
But whatever your choice is, it's important you be prepared! Lucky for me, I am walking distance from a 155,000 square foot warehouse full of all the supplies I would need to fend off a zombie attack. For everyone else a well equipped Army/Navy store should do the trick.
18" Field Machete a.k.a
The Zombie Decapitator
The first and most important items on my Zombie prep list would be....WEAPONS. A key to anyone's  survival is to be able to protect yourself. First of of course would be a gun and as much ammo I could carry, the next item up for grabs would be a nice Machete, this item is perfect for swinging away at a crowd full of zombie attackers. Speaking of knives, in any survival situation one should never be without a good Survival Knife, the one I am going with not only includes a two knives but also a fishing line and hook, compass, signal mirror and bandages.
Perfect for protecting those
hungry brain eaters
I am not sure how useful the bandages will be though...those zombie bites seem to be pretty lethal. I don't think there's enough Neosporin in the world to help me out with that infection. 
Next on the list is some riot gear, Rothco's Anti-Riot Helmet and Anti-Riot Shield are a must. And if the Zombie apocalypse doesn't come, These items are also helpful if I ever decided to occupy Wall St.

My other thought was, when I am not fighting or running from zombies it would be important to have a good lookout. Zombies may be slow but you never know when one will be sneaking up on you. That's why I will make sure I have a awesome pair of night vision goggles. And while I am stocking up on electronics a good solar light and charger would be key. From whats depicted in the movies our electrical systems won't last very long and gasoline will be sparse. Solar charges like likes these will come in very handy.

And of course there's the kick-ass outfit, every great zombie fighter needs a good durable outfit. A must in anyone's arsenal would be a good pair of Combat Boots, a leather jacket with a collar to protect against bites and a pair of Rothco's EMT pants, I went with these because they are coated to repel blood and fluids and since it seems the zombie virus is spread through blood contact, I think these pants are a MUST. And let's not forget gloves, Rothco' Tactical Gloves are perfect not only are they cut resistant but also feature a hard knuckle, perfect for protecting your hands.
The Perfect
Zombie Fighting Glove

Other important items include some MRE's, Cash, clean socks, and my iPhone. Who knows maybe someone will invent an app for killing zombies.

And now I think I am ready to fight! For more information on how to protect yourself in a Zombie attack the nice folks over at the Center for Diseases Control (CDC) also came up with a nice "How to Survive Site" and you wonder what your tax dollars today are going towards!

Well Good Luck! 
Kristy Dineen @ Rothco